If you’re anything like me, you go through different phases in the DIY/decorating department. It had been a while since I had completed a project and I was itching to get started on something again. Just coming off a very long, multi faceted house renovation I was ready to take on a mini project. Basically something with zero decision making involved!
One day I came across a DIY driftwood seahorse project that I had bookmarked quite a while ago. I decided to finally give it a try. I must admit that I lifted my project straight from Creative In Chicago. Obviously one could make driftwood wall art in any shape or size imaginable, depending how artistic slash creative one is. Considering I cannot draw a stick person (no one ever chooses me to be their partner in Pictionary), I recruited my daughter to sketch out my seahorse. I thought Zoe’s looked amazing and I like seahorses (note the blog logo).
Since all our worldly possessions had been packed away in boxes for a few months during the reno, it’s pretty understandable that I had not one cardboard box to my name! So I had to make a little extra work for myself by having my daughter sketch out my pattern on a roll of thick butcher paper that I had. I know what you are thinking, you artsy types, you’re wondering what the big deal is about sketching out a seahorse. Well, let me just tell you that I could not have drawn anything that remotely resembled a seahorse if my life depended on it. Pathetic, I know. I just keep telling myself that each one of us has a unique gift and mine just so happens to NOT be art!
So…seahorse sketched out, just using scissors I cut out my pattern. Mine is fairly large at 36″. But you could make yours any size you like. I had to wait a few days, but once I was able to get my piece of foam board, I taped my cut out pattern on the foam board using painters tape. I used an x-acto knife to carefully cut out my (second) seahorse. Removing the tape and pattern, I now had my seahorse that I would use to hot glue my pieces of driftwood onto.
I loosely placed small pieces of driftwood onto my cutout. Once I was happy with the placement, I began to hot glue them one at a time. I considered each and every tiny piece searching for the perfect combination. This, I thought would be the easy part! But it wasn’t as easy as it seemed. It was a lot like a jigsaw puzzle. Our beach usually doesn’t have much, if any, driftwood. But for some reason over the winter I was able to accumulate a pretty nice collection. I am glad I had it stashed away for a rainy day.
But……I cannot tell a lie. Sometimes perfection comes at a price. Once I started this project, I had to venture to the beach three or four more times in search of just the right pieces! I had to find real driftwood. Not just little sticks that had gotten wet or blown onto the sand. No, it had to be legit!
Once I had all my driftwood glued on, my husband configured something on the back of the foam board to stabilize it. He also came up with a way for it to be hung on the wall. After all it wouldn’t be wall art if it could not be hung on the wall! It’s not technical and doesn’t look particularly pretty but it gets the job done!
Super easy! Super, Super low cost! (Free if you have a piece of cardboard) And lots of fun to make. Thanks Creative in Chicago!